Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday: skiing

Today we went downhill skiing. I've been downhill skiing once before and it was a bad experience. This time was much more fun. Ben gave Jamie and I "lessons" while Travis helped Jacob.

After several runs on the bunny hill I tried the easy green hill with Ben. It was ok...I got down without running into anyone or falling. :) It was the first time I was on a lift and the person in the chair in front of us was also apparently a beginner. He fell while getting off the chair lift. Instead of trying to get out of the way he proceeded to spread his arms out and stay there as long as possible. I ended up going in front of Ben but he is luckily a good enough skiier that he could deal with that. He also decided to turn 180 degrees half way down the hill and scared me out of my wits because I thought he was stopping and that I would shortly be plowing into him. However, he was just skiing backwards for a bit.

Back to the bunny hill for a few times to have the family all together and then lunch. I was warm before lunch but unfortunately lunch cooled me off somehow. I never quite warmed up again. But anyway...

Then Jamie, Ben, and I went on the green hill again. I starting going to fast so decided to ..uh.. sit down. :) Luckily I had learned how to fall correctly. The next two times going down this hill were much better. Ben stayed a bit closer and I did a better job of snowplowing. But then I was too cold so Travis and Ben nicely brought me home. Travis pulled my poles for a bit so I didn't have to try and ski on the flat/uphill part. Our lift tickets were almost done anyway and they're going back tomorrow so it was ok they didn't do any of the harder runs.

So...the day was fun enough that Ben can probably get me to go again. I'm a little sore though. (especially my arms...it is really hard to go uphill even a little bit).