Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thursday: broke vs broken

A few mornings ago I heard the following:

"We're not broke. Something something something. We are doing perfectly fine and all our procedures are adequate for what we are doing."

I thought, "hold on. I thought they were going to talk about money, not their well-being. I think I would have used broken instead of broke. I wonder if broke as an adjective can come from 'to break' or 'I broke it'. I also wonder if it is just a common vernacular that has it mean money-less."

(I hope you understood that. It turns out it is kind of hard to explain.)

Anyway, I looked it up. When used as an adjective, it can only mean lacking in money. Which I do find that a little odd, since it is the same word as 'I broke it' and verbs and adjectives are often the same.

Aren't you glad you know that now?!?

No comments: