Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday: OT

I am happy to announce that today I finished reading the Old Testament.

Phew.

I started about 4.5 years ago.  I was at a retreat and the speaker said that she reads through the Bible.  When she's done, she starts again.  Now, I know this isn't optimal for everyone, and even this weekend in church the pastor recommended against that (for most people.  There's a large context that I'm not going to explain.)  But I had been realizing that there were some parts of the Bible that I hadn't read.  But a "read the Bible in a year" wasn't really going to work for me either.  So I started at the beginning.  Sometimes I read quite a bit, sometimes I could barely make it through a chapter. (The minor prophets were hard.)  There were some periods were I didn't read at all.  But since my only goal was to keep going, I hit that goal.

Next...the New Testament!  Hopefully I'll report back before another 4.5 years have passed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people I know read through Psalms every month (pretty much one Psalm each day). I bet the NT will go more quickly than the OT.

Annette B.

Amy Worrel said...

We're reading The Story for church. It's the NIV, but with some context explained and some parts taken out. It reads like a book. This is reminding me that I haven't read anything this week yet!