Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday: a week of hexagons?

Here is the quilt block of the day from my calendar. It is part of a "hexagon sampler quilt". Ok, maybe not something that I would make but is an interesting use of hexagons.

Here is the next block of the hexagon sampler quilt. Yeah - I don't see any hexagons. To refresh everyone's memory, let's go to wikipedia.com: "
In geometry, a hexagon is a polygon with six edges and six vertices." To me, these look like diamonds, even if there are six of them.

Here is today's hexagon block. It turns out this is a hexagram. (
A hexagram is a six-pointed geometric star figure - wikipedia again). While not a hexagon, they can at least get a few points. Oh, I guess the one above is a hexagram too. It still reminds me more of diamonds.


As I was taking off today's picture to show on here, I noticed the weekend's....also not hexagons. Nor hexagrams. Hmm. It does have six lines coming out of the middle though. However, that doesn't count in my book.
I go back and find the original hexagon quilt. Only 1/2 of the blocks actually have hexagons. Perhaps it should be called a geometric sampler quilt. Oh well, at least I found the whole thing funny.





1 comment:

Han said...

June 12/13 is my favorite.