Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday afternoon: someone understood my problem


So I'm going along, looking at specs from the web, and find this:
Well, it doesn't take much to figure out that something is wrong. So I call the company. Except that it is before business hours in California, so I get someone without a clue.

Amanda: can you open the file from the website? It'll make things easier to explain
Clueless: ok, I see the dimensions
Amanda: so you see that .690 doesn't equal .325+.150.
Clueless: but that is how you're supposed to cut it.
Amanda: but the dimensions don't add up.
Clueless: I don't understand. Cut it to those dimensions
Amanda: is there a dimension I'm missing?
Clueless: no, everything is right. Can you tell me your problem again?
Amanda: .690 doesn't equal .325+.150. How am I supposed to cut it?
Clueless: using the dimensions that are there.

After about five minutes he says he'll get with his boss and they'll call me back. They didn't. So I called today, asked the person to look at the drawing and he understood right away. All I had to say was ".690 doesn't equal .325+.150". It made my day.

1 comment:

Ertman-Trowbridge Family said...

Oh, I laughed and laughed. It is amazing how dense (and sometimes just plain dumb!) people can be.