Thursday, May 12, 2011

Wednesday: volks parade

It was a beautiful day out today, so I decided to ride by bike down to the parade.

For those of you unfamiliar with tulip time in Holland, the first parade starts with street scrubbing. Basically, anyone from the community that wants to can dress up in their Dutch Costume and clean the street.

These are random people that I don't know, but the boy is one of the cool water carriers. He's also drenched, because it was hot out and half the fun is getting each other wet.

Here are Allison and Scarlet. You can see that the streets are wet from being washed.

Next up were Jamie and the kids. I almost missed them because I thought Jamie had a different costume and I was on the other side of the street. I had to do some running to catch up and cross over.

Next up was Ben's alma mater. I know he played drums, although I'm not sure what he played while marching.

Since I saw Ben's alma mater, I thought that I should wait for mine too. I was going to leave after it. However, they ended up being the last band. Oh well, there were some interesting floats and other ...segments?... to make it worth the wait. I took a picture of the drum major in honor of Nathan.

No comments: