Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sunday: last pickup

Tomorrow is our last diaper pick-up.  Isaac now (normally) has one or no accidents a day, and is staying dry through most naps, so it is time to be done with the diaper service.  I was quite happy with them, but I'm even more happy to be done with diapers.

So that I don't forget if I'm ever curious about what I did, here's the quick summary.  I have no idea if any of these things actually helped, but it's what happened.
1) Cloth diapers almost all of the time.
2) Around 18 months I tried putting him on the toilet a lot for a week.  It didn't work all that well.
3) Between 18-21 months I tried putting him on the toilet several times a week.  If he did go to the bathroom, he got some mini M&Ms and got to wear his training pants.
4) Around 21 months he stayed dry for an entire morning, so I tried pushing toilet training hard again.  Again, M&Ms for rewards...and flushing.  I didn't use the waterproof pull-ups, although I did bring some to daycare so they could use them.  If we went out I either put him back in a diaper or made sure it was a really short trip and he had just gone to the bathroom.  I put a TV tray by the toilet so that he could play/read more easily.  (He was happy to stay on the toilet if there was something to do and I found that he had a bowel movement if he stayed on the toilet for at least 5 minutes.)  I started by putting him on the toilet about once an hour, but we're up to about once every two hours now.

So that's the quick summary...and it's not like we're done yet.  We still need to work on communication (when he does need to go) so that I don't have to remember every two hours.  We're also working on Isaac  taking his pants on and off.  But, the main thing is that most of the time Isaac goes on the toilet!



...Potty training is a lot of work.

1 comment:

Amy Worrel said...

To your last sentence. Yes. Good work keeping at it!