Friday, December 2, 2016

Friday: screaming toddler

There's always that one mom with a screaming child in the store, right?  Today was my day.  I've been pretty lucky, actually...I think this is the first time it's been bad.

It started when Isaac wanted to get out of the cart, which prompted Joshua to say that he wanted to get out too.  Ok.  Then he freaked out every time he wasn't holding my hand.  It makes steering a bit hard, but we made it through.

We got to the checkout and things started going downhill.  Joshua threw a little fit and when I picked him up he said, "I'm grumpy."  Yeah...I had noticed.  At least he noticed too.  It was our turn and he started entertaining himself with a chain.  Ok, no problem.  Isaac and I hurried to scan the groceries, but we can only scan so fast.  Joshua had mini-melt downs because the chain was tangled and because I wouldn't let him put it behind Isaac's knees, which created a trip hazard.  Then Joshua bonked himself on the face, so I picked him up.  We were just about done, so I did a dance of picking him up and putting him down to scan the large items.  I quickly moved all the groceries to the end of the checkout so the next person could at least start and Isaac and I started bagging.  Joshua was so sad now that he was crying even while I was holding him, so putting him down wasn't an option.  We skipped the pony ride and tried to make a quick get away.  At least Isaac was super-good.  I should have done one of the cashier check lanes, but didn't think about it until it was too late.  Next time.

Joshua fell asleep in the car.  He reluctantly woke up for lunch...Isaac helped him wake up and I wish he had waited five more minutes so I could get the groceries in, but at least Joshua was awake.  He took a long nap and then was still weird.  I finally gave him some medicine because he obviously wasn't himself, although there wasn't a fever, and it seemed to help.

Aunt C babysat while Ben and I went out to dinner.  It was a good day for it.

1 comment:

betsy said...

Sorry about your rough experience. Ethan was sick with some small virus much of this week too so maybe something's going around. Grocery pickup in Jenison is my latest favorite thing :) Hope your weekend is better!