Saturday, September 22, 2018

This week: historical documents

A month or so ago a letter was found written by Ben's Grandfather in the war.  It was very interesting, and reminded me of the letters that my grandmother wrote that had been made into a 'book' for all her kids.

Well, Dad couldn't find the book (but my aunts have their copies) but he did find other 'historical' documents that I found extremely interesting.

He sent me the genealogy of my paternal Grandmother, and it goes back to 1655 when a Derk Cornelis was born.  He was an elder at his church in the Netherlands.

While the family tree was interesting, more interesting were the stories of the first documents that I've scanned.  I relearned about my paternal great grandparents and grandparents.  (I wrote the original report, so I knew it at some point.)  I learned more about how my parents met.  I learned about some of the things my brother found important in eighth grade.

I find it odd to think of my parents...or grand parents, or great grand parents...as people before I was born.  I know, it's an odd thing to say.  They all played with friends, went to school, fell in love and had many of the same emotions and happenings that I have had.   Some things don't change regardless of the era in which you live.  I just didn't see them during those times and so while I know it is true, it is also weird to think about. 

1 comment:

betsy said...

I love to think about that stuff! Have you read waves of mercy? If not, do it because it is set in early Holland michigan... fun to read and learn about that era!