We got off the train in Voss and had a little bit of time to look around before catching our bus. We found the bus stop, then took some pictures. The boys and I took a very short walk and found Voss Church, which has been standing for 750years. We also found a playground!
There were so many kids in soccer gear walking around, and that's because the weekend was Vosskirk: a soccer tournament. Ok, it was time to go to the bus stop and it was chaos. All the tour groups were already lined up. (Side note: I was glad I wasn't in a tour group because it seemed like they were herded from one thing directly to another and would stand in line waiting for the next mode of transportation.) There was no way we would all fit on a single bus. Turns out there were three buses for everyone, and I assume that everyone fit on. We got probably the last five seats together in the second bus, at the very back. In some ways being in the back was really nice because you could turn around and see out the back window too! This is where we started to see waterfalls. It turns out I love waterfalls. Big ones, small ones, it really doesn't matter. I love them all.
The first waterfalls!
It was rather fortuitus that the bus stopped where it did, because we heard there was an accident in a tunnel in front of us and the traffic was just backing up. We were able to bypass all the traffic and were let out in Gudvangen. I'm going to assume that there is a little more than what we saw to this city, because all that was there was a restaurant, a store, some bathrooms, and a dock. It seemed like it should have a little more based on its location, but perhaps I just couldn't see what was on the other side of the mountain. Or maybe it really was that small and remote.
There was a waterfall that we explored a little bit. It naturally came off the mountain, but a bunch of infrastructure was added at the bottom. That's actually how most waterfalls near the road looked. It was a good place to grab a rock, so I said the kids they could each grab one but to try and not be conspicuous about it. So they climbed up a little bit, got some pictures, and then I look up a minute later and there is Isaac, on his stomach, leaning out to get "the perfect" rock. So much for being inconspicuous.
Ben had done his homework and told us that it would be best to bring our own lunch, so we did. We had a very nice picnic lunch before getting on the boat. It was 100% the right choice. The little restaurant had a line out the door, and then the boat wouldn't let outside food on the boat. We were some of the last people on, but looking at the waterfall and eating lunch was much better than just waiting in line that whole time, as we would have done if we were with a tour.
I got a few pictures of us eating lunch in a beautiful location, but none were flattering, so instead you can see Isaac at our picnic table with rocks.


























No comments:
Post a Comment