Thursday, March 11, 2021

Thursday: handwriting

 Isaac is learning cursive in school this year.  And by learning it, I mean he's doing a few pages in a workbook every week.

It has made me think about handwriting.  My grandparents' generation hand-writing was all cursive, all the time.  It also had a specific feel to it...handwriting between people is obviously different, but they were all taught it the same way.  It's a bit hard to read and a bit slanty.

I haven't really noticed much about my parents' generation, at least not that I can make broad statements about.  My mom had a wide cursive.  Dad...hmm.  I'm not sure.  The generation still writes in a lot of cursive I think, but I'm not as sure about that.

Then we get to my generation.  I've made my own print/cursive hybrid, which I think is rather common.  You'll notice on the chore list that I didn't even do "min" the same way within a minute.  Some words are print, some cursive, some a mix.  In school we had to write in cursive from 3rd-5th grade, if I recall correctly.  Enough to get it stuck in our brain, but not enough to make it stick well.  (I do tend to make my lower case l's in cursive though, because otherwise they look like 1's.  It's a problem in math.)


So I wonder about Isaac's generation.  Will he need to write in cursive in the coming years or is it something that is slowly dying out, with other things, like keyboarding skills, becoming more important?  What will his handwriting look like?  Will he incorporate any cursive?  For that matter, will his handwriting ever not look like a kid's?

No comments: