Saturday, September 25, 2021

Saturday: book review

Today I finally finished "Pandora's Star" by Peter Hamilton.  It was recommended to us and it sounded like a funny scifi, so Ben and I read it.  It was not funny, and we realized that pretty quickly, but it was still scifi so we continued on.

It turns out the genre is actually "space opera."  I'm going to admit that it did a fabulous job at putting me to sleep.  It probably took me a month to finish because some times I would start reading and literally didn't get more than a paragraph before I fell asleep.  It was a good book and the stories in it were very interesting...and very good at putting me to sleep.

It is book one of a two book series.  I think I'm going to try and listen to all 41 hours of the second book.  Most of the story lines were not tied up very well as the book ended and I'm quite curious as to how they will resolve.  In some ways I think this is the option Ben is hoping for too so that I can give him the cliff notes as I go through it.  He can then enjoy the story without all the extra...extras that a space opera includes.

I ended up giving it a 3/5 stars.  I wanted to give it 2, but the stories really were interesting.  It was just a really hard read.

No comments: