Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Tuesday: questions

The boys have been on a question streak lately! 

Joshua: What is the hardest part of a baby to change: the diaper, shirt, pants or socks?
A: I answered diaper but sometimes shirt in a long answer involving poop
Joshua: What is the easiest?
A: pants.

Isaac: what would happen if there were two stars in the solar system?
A: We looked up binary star systems and learned about the different planetary orbits.  I found thinking about day/night interesting
Isaac: So in this case it would be getting warmer and warmer and then a slight cool down because a sun is behind a sun?*
A: um, I'm not sure but I don't think so.
I: But light can only travel in straight lines, right?
A: But what if  they're not on the same plane?
Isaac: could a planet's orbit be in a figure eight?
A: We looked that up too and while hypothetically possible, the middle of the eight would have to be in the perfect location every time.
I: Is the Earth changing it's orbit?
A: It turns out it is going farther away from the sun by about 1.5 cm/year

And this was just a small sampling of the questions I was asked in the last few days.  However, the questions have all been pretty good questions and not nonsense questions, which make them a lot more fun to think about.

*I said I don't think so, but really I have no clue.  If anyone has thoughts on this, I'm now rather curious.  The point in space that we are talking about is where the green circle is below.


No comments: