Saturday, August 17, 2013

Saturday: alone - ish

Today I went to the big quilt show in Grand Rapids.  I went all by myself, which really ended up being quite wonderful.  There were a few times in the days leading up to it were I found myself thinking about logistics with Isaac in tow, and then happily remembered that he wasn't joining me on this occasion.

Most of the quilts were splendid.  A few were ugly.  I usually find myself most intrigued by the ones that I think that I could make, if I took enough time.  (Basically, this means pieced quilts and not applique or art quilts.)  But there were a few of the other kinds that I really liked too.  My favorite parts were probably the guild challenge section and the miniatures.  The guild challenge gave a theme that the members were supposed to design a quilt around, such as "under".  There were quilts with under bridges and under blankets and down under themes.  It was interesting to see how different people interpreted the challenge.  The miniature quilts were amazing because they had a gazillion pieces in about a 12" x 12" square.  A gazillion pieces in a bed quilt look amazing, but in a small square they were especially stunning.

I went through the vendor area in search of some good sky fabric...not too dark, not too white, not too patterned.  I found some perfect sky, along with a few other good pieces.


No comments: