Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Tuesday: melting

And the summer activities have begun!  I'm going to try it a bit differently this year...we're going to pull out the activities for the week at the beginning of the week.  I could still see pulling out an extra one if things aren't going well one day here or there, but this way I can schedule the week better.  The big things can happen on days that don't need to have errands or other pre-planned activites, while the small ones can be fit here and there.

I also let Isaac put several back when doing the first pull today; I don't know if we'll keep that up.  It seems like an easy way to just to the fun activities and not the work ones.  Oh, I put all the activities together this time.  If we have a work one scheduled I will probably try to do a fun one too.

Today's was "what things melt in the sun?"  It might have been better in the middle of summer, but was still interesting.


We started with a glob of wax, a rock, a dishwasher soap pack, frozen peas, cheese, hummas, bread, toast, soft butter, hard butter, chocolate, and and ice cube.  We checked it at 10 minutes, 20 minutes, an hour, and at the end of the day.  (We made a chart too, but I don't have a picture of that.)


I don't know if there were any earth-shattering revelations, although it's sometimes hard to tell.  Isaac did notice how hot the rock got and we talked about how people sometimes would put rocks by a fire and then in their bed.  At the end of the day we saw how the things that didn't melt got rather hard.  I found it interesting, which is half the point too. :)

After a trip to Target we stopped at the PetStore to look at all the animals.  The cats were gone, but Joshua especially loved the birds.

We also went to the vet.  Flurry hasn't eaten much the last two weeks.  (And she's down to about 8.5 from 11.5 pounds.)  Nothing serious at this point, although we'll get the blood work back tomorrow.  We did get some special food (which she gobbled right up) and some pills to help her appetite.

Ben had a last minute band practice tonight, so I put some water in the water table.  Both boys played well with it and the squirters.  Isaac seems happier to spend time on the deck when Joshua is out there with him, even though I hear a lot of "no thank you!"s.

No comments: