Thursday, May 11, 2017

Thursday: worms

Today was a home day for me and a school day for the boys. :)  I did quite a bit of work, although some of it was fun work and some of it not so fun work.

One thing I did was deal with the dirt that the worms made over the last year.  The worms are thriving.  (So if anyone else wanted some worms, I'd be happy to give you some.)

I had tried to separate the worms from the old dirt.  I thought I could be smart by putting another bucket on top of the old one as they are supposed to want to move upwards.  I've had it there for a while, so all the fresh food is up there too.  That didn't really work though.  I took a little bit longer than I was hoping for and extracted some of the worms from the old dirt, moving them into the new dirt bin, but stopped caring after a while.  Sorry worms.  I was a little surprised at the amount of dirt that was already in the new bin after the transfer; I might need to do a transfer again at the end of the summer.


Anyway, I filled up about 1/3 of a bucket with dirt.  It's not a lot, but there is a small bare patch in the front lawn that completely and randomly died last summer.  I think I'll use the dirt and some grass seed and see if anything grows.

No comments: