Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Wednesday: groceries

 I know, it's another installment of grocery adventures with Amanda.  I'm listening to a book right now about WW2 England and how some people were observing and writing everything down for posterity.  This blog doesn't come close to that, but at least if anyone ever finds it they'll know some about the grocery stores.

Anyway, it's been on my mind lately that I should switch to Aldi.  I've shopped there a little in the past, but I enjoy the variety and the large selection of items that Meijer has.  But...groceries are expensive.  And some items are getting 'really' expensive.  I buy the off-brand items most of the time anyway, so why not buy Aldi brand?

So Joshua and I tried it out today.  Of course, my grocery list was crazy small; only about ten items.  I can't remember the last time I've only had ten items on my list - it's usually about 33.  At the same time, it's a good time to start since we don't have to hunt for as many items.  We found eight of the ten items and the total came out to $29 dollars.  If we pretend that I had my normal 33 items, it would be about $120.  My grocery bill at Meijer is usually $150 +/- $50, so I probably saved a decent amount.

I think we'll try shopping there over the summer.  I like the idea of saving money, but it was annoying to be in a new place and not be able to get all my items.  I'm hoping to save up enough items that I can do a Meijer pickup just once in a while.

A, after dinner: The grocery total was less than $30 so I gave myself a triple gold medal*!
B: Well, that negates the savings offset.


*Yeah, I give myself pretend medals based on my grocery bill.  $75-$125 = gold, $125-$175 = silver, $175-$200 = bronze, >$200 = sadness - hopefully there's a weird and expensive non-grocery item

No comments: