Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday: lunch

Today I had lunch with Jess in the sun. It was nice.

By the time I left work today, I felt like I was on top of everything. Not caught up, but not way behind either.

Tonight Ben and I are having an exciting night of trying to find my last quests in a zone in Warcraft so I can get an achievement. Actually, it'll be two achievements. However, I seem to have missed some large quest chain and so am having a rather hard time. I still need fourteen quests and have five in my quest log. There's a chance they'll lead to enough quests, but rather unlikely.

As I was driving home I was thinking about the number of letters in things. After a certain point, it just seems like the number of letters to describe a (place/name/etc.) isn't worth the time it takes to write. It isn't something that gets taken into account when you're deciding on something, but after the fact it feels as though it should have been a factor. For example, our street name has 16 letters (including spaces, but words were abbreviated). It takes too long to write. Also, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Seriously?!? 42 characters. I tried to think of a longer college name and failed. While it can often be abbreviated, when I am job searching or wanting to make sure the reader knows exactly where I went, I need to write it out. I bet some names have the same problem, although mine isn't bad. So what other things can you think of that have too many letters?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis More letters, abbreviated as UIPUI and typically referred to as You-E-Pui-E

Jess said...

My last name has too many letters. And lunch was really nice.