Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday: deep thought #4

The deep thought: sometimes it's ok to go to bed frustrated.

This is so contrary to what I so often hear "don't go to bed angry" that I wanted to take a look at the statement. I think one of the things that started this post is that I was reading a thread on the internet where every person agreed with the above statement.

First, there is a difference between angry and frustrated. I don't think that I actually get truly angry very often. Sometimes there is something so consuming that it just can't wait...and then it shouldn't wait. My deep thought is more for times when the problem isn't going to disrupt life too much until it gets dealt with.

I have found that sleeping on something is the best way to calm myself. When I wake up I have a new perspective and less stress. Sometimes the issue is still important, and then I can think about it with a significantly clearer head, which will (hopefully) lead to calmer discussions. Often I realize that the issue wasn't a big deal and then I can be glad that I maintained the peace.

2 comments:

Steve C. said...

I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty hot-headed sometimes, so there are certainly times and issues where I should just take a deep breath and see how you feel tomorrow.

Cheryl said...

And it is often better to deal with things while well rested and not at the end of the day when you are tired - I have found!!