Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday: the special cases

So I'm back to Excel programming at work! I had an idea for a major update to my program a few months ago, but work has been too busy to get started on it. Well, I took some time a few days ago to start it. And then I worked on it all day today. I probably should have done some other work too, but it will be there tomorrow (and so will the work package to charge).

I finished the main body around 11am. But then I realized there were all these "special cases" I had to deal with. They took me the rest of the day. I had been getting a little bit proud of my code because it seemed a lot more condensed then it was when I did it the first time, but after I put the special cases in and looked at how many lines of code it takes to format a spreadsheet I got humbled again.

I still think the overall result will be much better.


No comments: