Friday, August 7, 2020

Friday: school

 Well, we're (somewhat) signed up for virtual school.  We did not receive any additional information or answers to our questions.  (Although we could probably make a case to change next week if the information that is supposed to come out on Monday changes our minds.)

So I don't love this selection, let's be honest.  I was really, really looking forward to both kids being in school.  The main reasons we went this way include:

1) No masks are required in K-5 classrooms.  This troubles me.

2) While I'm sure they will try to social distance, I've been in those classrooms.  There is not enough room for 6ft apart.  With however far apart they are able to go, I expect the kids will have to sit there most of the time and that's not fun either.

3) I would not be at all surprised if everybody is changed to a remote learning plan at some point.  I feel we have a small leg up with a teacher that was already expecting to teach on-line.  (This could be offset by the kids not seeing their teacher in person, which would be a bonus of in person schooling.)

4) Both kids are ok with virtual schooling.  Isaac's been listening carefully to some of the discussions I've been having and doesn't want to get sick.  While the boys getting sick is actually rather low on my list of reasons to virtual school, Ben and I could get sick and we still don't know the long term effects of the virus if the any of us get sick.  Joshua wants virtual learning because he just likes to stay home.

Now, if you're reading this and chose the other way, that's a good decision too.  Well, maybe I should say that it is an equally bad decision?  I went back and forth so many times and could give you a very similar list for having the boys actually go to school.

No comments: