Thursday, December 22, 2022

Thursday: getting ready

Today was a day of getting ready.

I woke up to a message from the Christmas Ruiners.  They like to hide around the main area and somehow ruin Christmas.  Not really sure how.  They're similar to how Christmas Magic moves the Nativity animals every night, but Isaac moves them instead of the magic.  Apparently there was one that I was supposed to find and have missed for several days.

It continued with 1.5 bags of potatoes turning into mashed potatoes.  I had peeled them last night, but then realized that I really, really would regret it if I tried cooking all of them in the instapot at once.  So I did it in two batches and it took longer than I was expecting.  I really feel like the name instapot is a misnomer as it is far from instant.  But they didn't get done too late and I sent a very full crockpot of potatoes to work with Ben.  Now.  During previous potlucks most of the food I make comes home.  I don't mind this at all and since I only make food that I like it works well.  So I was planning on bringing half the potatoes with us to another party.  However, much to my surprise, they were all gone!  So I need to rethink that plan and remember, for better or worse, that mashed potatoes are good at Gentex potlucks.

The morning passed.  Joshua and I have been giving each other a lot of massages, enough that we got a library book to learn some new methods.  (Side note, we got it from the main library because that's were we were.  The librarians were helpful, but not as helpful as my wonderful north side librarians.)  I also put out more bird and squirrel food due to the upcoming blizzard.  While I was coming back inside, Horizon escaped.  This was a big surprise, since he's never the one that escapes.  I let him escape as about four inches away from the house there is a hill of snow that I didn't think he'd be interested in getting over.  About thirty seconds later Tornado followed.  Tornado quickly realized it was not fun and went back inside.  Horizon tried going over the hill and, as expected, turned around and came back inside.

Next it was time for errands!  We met a friend at Anna's House, and she gave the boys a large gift certificate to B&N.  It was quite unexpected.  We headed to rock climbing, and stayed a bit longer than normal.  Joshua and one of the kids' instructors were trying to balance a stuffed rat on their head while climbing...apparently it'll be a new challenge for the kids' group.

We got gas next, including gas for the snow blower.  The boys twisted my arm and we went through the car wash too.  We stopped by the library to pick up a hold, and then to B&N.  We got a new game.  I called our game expert about two games.  We decided on one, but Joshua was adamant that he didn't want it so we went with the other.  We played most of it before dinner and I think it was a good choice. 

Right as we were finishing our errands and pulling into the driveway we saw five snowflakes.  The blizzard was starting!  For those of you not in West Michigan, we are supposed to get 10-20" with high winds Friday and Saturday.  The snow didn't start quite as early as it was supposed to, but by 4pm when the blizzard was supposed to start hitting it was snowing well.  The flakes were small though so there wasn't much accumulation.  I was thinking about snow blowing after dinner but decided not to.  I did look about an hour ago though and there is obviously more snow, so it must have gotten a bit worse.  Everything is shut down tomorrow, so I really hope there's a good storm with no power outages.

No comments: