Saturday, March 4, 2023

Saturday: yesterday

Well, yesterday we finally got the schedule and some of the extra requirements for receiving our black belts.  I'll admit...it was a bit much.  I know they have a tight schedule with everything that they're trying to do at the school, but they put one test on the first Friday of spring break and one on Memorial day weekend.  There's a note that says no retests, although I'm not really sure that they'll be able to accommodate that.  There also feels like a ton of extra things to do on top of the extra practices.  I understand the reasons for almost everything, but this commitment has added about 2.5 hours/week that I need to be at the school.  (For some weeks.  Some weeks won't be as bad.)

There's also a requirement for "Empathy Training" because they want us to understand how to put yourself in others' shoes.  So I'm not supposed to talk for eight hours and supposed to be blind-folded for a different eight hours (although that can be broken up).  Again, I understand the logic behind it.  But being blind-folded will be boring.  If I was actually blind I'd have a system in place, technology to help me, and hobbies to fill the time.   This one requirement is annoying me the most out of everything.  I think I'll give it a good try and then possibly write my paragraph(s) on why I stopped.

The family talked today because I'll obviously need a bit more support - if nothing else than being gone more.  They were all on board.  The kids really stepped it up and are helping me with training too.  Joshua "made" me do my exercises this afternoon and Isaac set up a ticket system to help reward me for what I do.

No comments: