Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday: something I never thought I'd burn

Tonight I was making curry (and using up the potatoes). At one point, I need to heat some vegetable oil and then put flour in it. In the past when I've done this, little bubbles appear when it gets hot.

So this time I was waiting for the bubbles to appear. And waiting. And making sure the burner was on. And waiting some more. No bubbles. Finally I decided it had been long enough and started to put the flour in. It stank like burnt food, and the flour even looked burnt. So I threw it out and started again. It turns out that the little bubbles only appear when there is an "imperfection" in the oil...like a little piece of meat from the main dish. But when your pan is perfectly clean, the oil just starts to heat without the bubbles.

And the quilt progress - I've quilted about 1/4 of it.

3 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

That's a really pretty quilt, Amanda! Won't it be exciting to have it finished?

And here's a tip about your oil - if you stand the end of a wooden spoon in the oil, it will emit little bubbles around it when the oil is hot. It's a great way to tell when the oil is ready without getting your hand near it!

greelyrita said...

Lovely colours and they go so well together!!
I always throw in a tiny bit of onion or even a single drop of water to see if the oil is hot. You can also smell hot oil, but by then it's REALLY hot.

Cheryl said...

The quilt is looking really nice!!