Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday: today's victory

Today I had a victory. I wrote a program a while ago and last week gave it to the operators to start using. Well, it didn't work. Why? Because I wrote it with VBA 2007 and the computer only had 2003 on it. There are some commands that are not backwards compatible, as I quickly found out.

Ok, not a problem. Well, just a little problem. We'll run it on the computers next to the other computers. I try it. The network drive permissions are incorrect. Bother. I finally get that straightened out. It seems to work! Hurray!

Of course, I didn't test one of the buttons to print something. It turns out that these other computers aren't hooked to the printers. (The first computers were...it never even crossed my mind.) So I had to figure out how to get those computers hooked to the printers. The on-line tutorials were not very helpful as they left out the one step I couldn't figure out: how to get the server name for the printer.

Here it is, just for reference: 1) get the printers and faxes open in an explorer type window (you can right click the "printers and faxes" if you can't figure out any other way). 2) In the white area, right click and choose server properties. 3) Find the name of the server. It might be the computer name, but not necessarily.

No comments: