Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wednesday: pears

Today Isaac got pears for the first time.  I figured they'd be easy enough to make myself, so I thought I'd do so and see if it was more economical than buying baby food pears.

I decided that I needed about 6 ice cubes worth of pears to make them come out evenly.  Two trays of ice cubes (about 24 ice cubes) later, I decided two things: 1) I put in too much water but 2) even with less water it would have still been worth the money.

Sure, it's a little bit more of a hassle, but pears were pretty easy.  Once they're ripe enough they get soft and very easy to cut and peel.  I'm planning on doing apples too, because I know they will be easy.  I might try green beans, but am not sure I'll be able to puree those smooth enough. We'll see how ambitious I feel.

We went out to eat with Dad and Pat tonight.  Pat came over a little early and helped with Isaac and it was awesome.  The kitchen was a mess and I really needed about 30 minutes and both hands to get it all finished.    I usually don't mind a messy kitchen (although I much prefer a clean one) but for some reason it was getting on my nerves.  Since I was able to get it clean, I'm hoping to do some non-repeating chores tomorrow.  Maybe empty some boxes.  At the rate we're going, I'll be finished in about two years and that isn't really acceptable.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Amy Worrel said...

Did you cook the pears a little bit? It's my understanding that raw pears aren't great for babies, but I'm not positive. Here's a book I recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Top-100-Baby-Purees-Healthy/dp/0743289579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342104206&sr=1-1&keywords=top+100+baby+purees I didn't buy a single jar of baby food, making it was really easy and I enjoyed it.

Jess said...

Yes you should cook your pears before the baby is 9 months after that you can puree raw pears or even just chopped up bite pieces depending on how well they handle finger foods. I find green beans hard to do myself because they are stringy. Super easy are sweet potatoes or squash. Sometimes I mix a stringy veggie with a smooth one to get the food consistency right light peas/apples or green beans/sweet pot. Good luck with those boxes! :)