Thursday, July 18, 2013

Thursday: grocery store adventures

I choose a slow line at the grocery store check out today.  So slow.  Slow enough that I ended up giving Isaac my phone to play with and I rarely do that when we're out and about.  I just hope the poor mother with the screaming baby got a special line.

It was finally our turn to check out.  Yay!  I'm asked if I have any coupons or bottle returns...not today. The cashier set up my two reusable bags - bags that have been well used but are still in decent condition.  The bottom plastic thing is mangled, but the bags themselves are fine.  Then she puts a brown paper bag in both...what??  I brought the reusable bags so that she didn't have to use those!  Well, by the time I got over my shock I decided it wasn't worth saying anything.  Maybe she didn't like the condition of my bags.  She asked again if I have any coupons or bottle returns...I still didn't.

I had more groceries than bags, and so I figured she'd just put the rest in a plastic bag.  She got out a paper bag.  Ok...I'm fine with paper.  Then she put the paper bag in the plastic bag...what??  What was going on?  Why was she using so many bags?  Again, by the time I got over my shock it was really too late to say anything.  But I have now figured out why the line was so slow.  Right before ringing up the final total she asked again if I had any coupons or bottle returns.  Sigh...I still didn't.

I've since then thought of many reasons why I might ask for a double bag, but no reasons for the cashier to do it without prompting.  But I do have a good coupon now for the next time I check out.

1 comment:

betsy said...

That is goofy! I had the slowest line ever today at Meijer. But it was a guy, not a lady, so not the same person. Also no double bags. Just very careful sorting and arranging and rearranging of what went in each of my reusable bags. I appreciate all the cold foods together, but beyond that, just throw them in so we can go home! Oh well. Apps on the phone are a beautiful thing for shopping with a child. :)