Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday: running

Pretend you're in the beginning part of VBS this morning; the part were the whole auditorium is filled with kids singing to God while standing on their chairs.

Leader/Pastor/Barker Frank: "Ok, I need the teacher of a fifth grade group to volunteer your group to run around."
All the kids: "Oh!  Oh!! Us! US!"  (Yeah, probably all kids from third grade on up, really.)
Barker Frank, looking around: "Where's your teacher?"
Kids: "Here!  Here!"

So, pretending that I'm a teenager and not an adult I stand on the chairs too and wave my hands for his attention.  We're picked!

Kids: "We got picked! We got picked!"
Barker Frank: "Ok, run around the front here and pretend you're a roller coaster while we sing this next song."

Off we go.  Except that we don't just go around the front.  No, we go all over the sanctuary, running full tilt through the aisles, slapping hands, cheering.  It was tons of fun for the first three minutes.  Then I was tired.  I don't run that much.  I took a break and one of the kids told me that this was nothing.  I told her to start running again.  :P  I started again a minute later and made it almost to the end of the song.

I like to pretend I'm younger than I actually am.  I see myself as only a few years older than the kids...just old enough to give instructions and command respect, not old enough to almost be their mother.  They probably don't see it that way, but they're nice enough not to let on.

1 comment:

The Accidental Boilermaker said...

At church parents and therefore their children call me Miss Liz (I think it's a southern thing). I like it because it shows they respect me but at the same time doesn't make me feel too old.