Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday: Christmas presents

I'm reading a book about justice.  (Our church recommends a book each year, this year this is the book.)  Last night the reading was on being content with what you have.

This comes at such an interesting time, since it has been "making Christmas list" week.  As always, I feel like I already have plenty.  I can find some things for my list, but so much of that just things that would be fun.  Don't get me wrong - fun is good.  Fun items give people jobs.

Yet every year I always wonder what would happen if I only put donation items on my list.  I always feel like I would be a disappointment to people trying to buy for me, because choosing a charity wouldn't be as fun.  As I think about it though, I wonder why I should care.  As I think it through, I wonder if I would enjoy Christmas as much without tangible gifts.

So this is my possible notice to everyone.  Next year I might finally do it.  ...or I might not.  I have a year in which to think about it.

No comments: