Sunday, July 30, 2017

Sunday: VBS Sunday

Today was VBS Sunday, the conclusion of the week.  We found out the Myrna, the puppet that always gets into grand predicaments, was able to blow up Asteroid Myrna in time, thereby saving the whole Earth from destruction.  Phew.

They also invited the kids to go on stage for the songs.  To my surprise, Isaac went.  (Although he asked if he could go up the ramp...maybe he had odd ulterior motives.)  Anyway, he did the motions reasonably well and sang the choruses.  He didn't always look all that happy to be up there, but it was crowded.  (He's in the front middle of the picture below in a bright green shirt.)

Afterwards he said he doesn't like singing.  He also doesn't like coloring.  This might make church services hard in the future, as he is moving up in classrooms soon and there will be more times for him to come sit in Big Church.  However, once he had a pen and some blank paper he was content to draw.  Stickers helped too.

I always have conflicting emotions around VBS.  As most of you know, hanging out with kids isn't my favorite thing to do.  At the same time, I believe it is super important to do.  I do it although I often feel awkward, as starting conversations is sometimes hard for me.  As the week progresses though, it always gets easier.  I asked one student about if her "star disease" is all gone.  (She put star stickers all over her face, and then the stickers spread to her arms and legs.)  We can laugh about not sharing candy - it turns out that candy can be a great teaching tool. :)  We can cheer together as we say the Bible memory verse faster than previous times.  I got a note from one student saying I was the best VBS teacher that she's had, but ...I'm not really sure I believe it.  Maybe it's just that I was the most recent and not too bad.  Hopefully they all felt loved and special and will remember that God loves them too.

Also, here's hoping to an easier memory verse next year.  Last year's was difficult, but we got it.  This year's had a ton of prepositions and lists.  We got it in 47 seconds, but there were still several helps as we went around the table.  (Oh, each person says one word and we go in a circle.  I often time it to see how fast we can get it.) "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all Creation.  For by him all things were created: in heaven and on Earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or rulers or dominions or authorities - all things have been created through Him and for Him."  Colossians 1:15-16

No comments: