Friday, August 10, 2018

Friday: Perseid meteor shower.

Today's plan was to go to the beach to watch the Perseid meteor shower.  The astronomy club was putting on an event.

The boys took naps.  Joshua decided to take a nap on the floor.  It was a bit weird, but he did sleep.

We got in the car and started traveling.  When we were two miles away from the beach traffic started to get rather busy.  I didn't think that all those cars could be going to the beach...surely this event wasn't that popular.  When we were 1.5 miles away the traffic turned into stop and go traffic.  As I rounded the corner all I saw were taillights.

We turned around.  A mile and a half of traffic trying to get into the beach!  There isn't that much parking!  The s'mores would be gone!  It would be a madhouse!  Where did all these people come from???

So the boys got their pajamas on and we made s'mores at home.  The marshmallows didn't get very warm.

Joshua was done with star gazing pretty much right away.  Isaac and I lasted about an hour, but I only saw two and Isaac said he saw two while I was inside checking on Joshua.  Either it was too light out on the deck or they just weren't really showing up.  I was very disappointed.  However, I got the star chart out and Isaac and I had a really good time looking for the constellations and the stars.

No comments: