Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Wednesday: meet the teacher

Today was meet the teacher day for Isaac.  His friend was there and came right over to say hi, and that was nice to see.

The teacher presentation was mostly just the normal stuff, but it was nice to be able to look around the classroom and see what was there.  When Isaac went up to say hi to his teacher she said, "your teacher told me so many great things about you!" to which he responded, "I never moved my clip!"  (i.e., I never got in trouble.)

At the end I wondered where I should put some of the supplies that had Isaac's name on them.  She said to just put them out in the hallway because it is a communal pool.  Um...ok.  I asked again because I really was surprised and pulled out the pencil case, which had his name on it.  We slowly figured out what was going on.  Apparently no one ever reads the instructions on the list and just brings stuff in without putting the name on.  And they don't get all the supplies, because she had a pencil bag and water bottle for everyone.

Now, I understand that sometimes people can't bring in supplies due to financial hardship and that's a separate topic.  But no one else reads the instructions???  I was really surprised that there wasn't at least some expectation that the parents would do as the instructions asked, even if it wasn't done by most.  When I was talking with her it wasn't, "oh, yeah, I know what you're talking about and you should put those supplies here."  It was some back and forth before we understood each other.  (Also, it isn't as though the supply list is out-of-date because the list changed between the one they sent home after kindergarten and the one we recently received in the mail.)  I would be happy to not label his pencils.  But then don't tell me to do so.

Besides that she seems nice and hopefully Isaac will have a great year.

No comments: