Friday, January 14, 2022

Friday: Grocery adventures

I find myself talking about mundane things a lot.  Butter gets talked about a lot.  Today it was groceries.  I had lunch with Betsy and she casually asked if I had gotten groceries this week.  I had actually gotten them Wednesday morning, but didn't post about it for once because things were mostly normal.  Crescent rolls were still only half full and there were no frozen potatoes, but otherwise I was pretty happy with the trip.  In fact, it seemed like many things were on sale so I ended up with a bit more than normal.

Today she told me that she was only able to get half her order because Meijer was sold out of so many things.  And it wasn't that she couldn't get the exact thing she wanted but there were substitutes...they were completely out.  We both wondered what changed in two days.  Where in the supply chain did the issue(s) happen?  Are a bunch of stockers out sick?  I'm sure I'll never find out, but it'd still be really interesting to know.

Speaking of things I'd like to know, with the Omicron variant here we're being told that surgical and KN95/N95 masks are better than cloth masks.  I'd like to point out that there seems to be a huge range in cloth masks.  Are they making this comparison with a single layer gater?  A double layer homemade mask?  A three layer mask?  There are significant differences in those three options.  While this doesn't mean that the statement isn't true, a bit more information would be helpful as I try to figure out what to buy (or not buy).

No comments: