Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Tuesday: whirlwind

Well, the day started out with Isaac telling me 10 minutes before I left for work that he had a headache.  And that he still had a sore throat.  Couple this with 1) Ben having some symptoms on the COVID list and 2) these being two of the minor things that we're not supposed to send him to school for, we didn't send Isaac to school.  In some ways it worked out well since Ben was working from home today anyway.

On the way to work there was a pop-eye coming toward me as I was turning left.  Since it was a pop-eye I misjudged how far away it was when I made the turn.  Now, I got through the intersection just fine, but it scared me a bit.  I proceeded to take several wrong turns on the way to work and found out there is a new stoplight at Michigan and 12th street.

I taught.  It went fine.  The normal things went wrong, but it went smoothly for the most part.

I went back to my office in search of a PCR test for Isaac.  Normally we'd just do a rapid test, but since there were two people with symptoms we thought maybe PCR would be better.  I must have found a canceled appointment because it was the only one available until tomorrow at 4:30pm.  It wasn't ideal for Ben, but he brought Isaac anyway.  I need to vent: signing up for a COVID test is 100% utterly terrible.  For most of the sites you need to fill in a significant amount of your information (name, birthday, address, covid vacinations, symptoms, why you need a test, etc) before they let you see the schedule.  This is idiotic because you want to shop around for the best appointment and so instead of taking a minute to see the appointments you spend five minutes filling out info only to find out there are no appointments until Thursday anyway.  On top of this, CVS needed our insurance information, which was in the car.  I only had eight minutes left to hold the appointment, so I ran out to get it...and promptly locked myself out of the building.  Without my phone.  I banged on a door when someone was passing to let me in, but it is not what I wanted.  I got the appointment with two minutes to spare.

I then realized I needed to alert the housekeepers and piano lesson.  The housekeepers still elected to come (Ben and Isaac stayed hidden away) and we did a virtual piano lesson.

I got a little bit of work done and it was time to teach again.  Teaching went better this time because I fixed some of the issues from the first class.  This is pretty normal.

While I've normally been coming home after teaching, I elected to stay at Hope until it was time to pick up Joshua from school.  I had gotten almost nothing done during my set-aside hours and really needed to get some stuff done.  I figured I'd be happier later if I just did it.  (I am.)

The rest of the day was busy but uneventful.  The virtual piano lesson went very well.  Joshua's karate class went well.  They had to run a bunch of laps and he kept up with a kid twice his height...his little legs were pounding the ground so fast.  I went to karate...they started late and I almost wished I had just stayed home due to the short class, but it was fine in the end.  Ben had a rapid test at the doctor's and it was negative.

So yeah, that was the day.  A bit weird since Ben and I sort of switched roles, but we can't completely because of knowledge that the other has.  We called and texted a lot more than normal.  We've decided to keep Isaac home at least one more day.  If we don't get the PCR results we'll probably give Isaac a rapid test and then hopefully send him to school Thursday since Ben's result was negative. 

No comments: