Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday: 10,000

Today I made it to 10,000 steps. This is the first time that I've made it while wearing my pedometer. The main reason is because I chose to do the ellipical tonight so that my pedometer would actually catch the steps that I was taking. (Versus biking, where it wouldn't see the spins I was spinning.)

And while the pedometer does make me a lot more aware of how much I'm walking (or not walking as the case may be on some days) there is an extra incentive to wear it because it can add a little bit more money to my health care account. I need to get 6000 health miles (HM). If you walk under 7000 steps, you get 20 HM. When I checked in today at almost 9000 steps, I got 80 HM. I didn't realize the incentive to hit the target number of steps was so large. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about HMs being a unit of measurement. Are there any units of measurement that scale in such a weird way? I think they should really be called Health Points, in which case I wouldn't have a problem with it. And I could pretend I'm in a video game.

2 comments:

sailor42 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sailor42 said...

The last one was nonsensical. 6000HM is a really large goal. Good luck