Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Wednsday: day 2

I dropped Isaac off at school again today.  This time I made him lead the way...he has to walk "the long way" so that I have an easier time getting home.  I even made him ask the adult when he couldn't remember where to stand.  He got in place and then said, with a great big smile, "Bye-bye!"

"Bye-bye" I replied.  "I love you!"
"I love you so much!  Bye-bye!"

It was a much better start than yesterday, although yesterday wasn't bad by any means.

Joshua and I went home and made date balls.  He figured out how to work the food processor.  I looked at the clock...8:30.  I've been a bit nervous about this first day with just Joshua and me as I am the only person to play with.  It turned out fine.  He played Legos and made me a surprise (a bridge).  I was able to get some school work done during that time, so by the time rest time was done I was finally feeling on top of everything.  There have been several extra meetings this week and it cut into my grading time.

Anyway, back to the day.  We biked to the library.  Isaac probably could have done this ride, but there is one busy street that doesn't have a great crossing on it.  Since I have to carefully hold my bike, I can't help Isaac if he needs it.  Joshua loves biking.  We read several books at the library and I realized that he really only recognizes a few letters.  I don't know if this is normal.  I looked back at Isaac's monthly milestones and the best I could get is that when Isaac was six months older than Joshua he had been able to recognize all the letters for a while.  That seems like a reasonable goal though.

Pick-up was still annoying.  I was sitting in a line for quite a while and then gave up.  Apparently the line was for the older kids and the parents of the younger kids just park, get out, and walk up.  This is completely ridiculous in my mind, but since I now know the actual expectations I can do it and get out in a reasonable amount of time.

Isaac's day went well.  I got some fun details out of him, but there still seem to be some large gaps.  He ate most of his lunch at least this time.  I also realized that I need to carefully ask my questions.  Whereas with an adult you would say, "Did you talk to anyone today?" if they were in a room full of strangers, with a kid I should say, "Did you play with anyone today?".  The latter gave me a better response.  It doesn't seem like he'll be a social butterfly, but at the same time it's only the second day.

1 comment:

betsy said...

So glad is going well overall! Cute Lego lunch box!