Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Last Wednesday: Epcot

The first thing we did today was have a massage.  Life is rough at Disney.  Then we went to breakfast and I had a delicious lobster Benedict. 

We made our way to Epcot.  We were a bit early for our first fast pass, so we went to the store.  I told Ben that I loved him so much that I wasn't going to buy him anything.  It was really nice of me.  I didn't get him any delicious treats that would be tempting to eat.  I didn't get him a shirt that he might not wear.  And I definitely didn't get him a stuffed animal that he wouldn't sleep with.  I got myself a sweatshirt that says 2020 on it, since we were there to ring in that year.

The first ride was spaceship Earth.

Then we went on Figment's ride for Joshua, even though he wasn't there.  We hit Soarin', which was cool as always.  I got another pretzel...the Mickey pretzel was better than the one the night before.

Next we went on the 'Behind the Seeds' tour that is the companion to 'Living off the Land' ride.  It was pretty neat.

There were about eighteen of us and we went on the other side of all the plants from the boat ride.  The guide also does some research and was able to answer all of our questions very well.  Oh, so there are two restaurants in Animal Kingdom that have a small menu portion of only things that come from the greenhouse.  They also send some produce to the quick service spot in the same building (cucumbers and the like).  Vegetables that people don't want to eat are sent over to Animal Kingdom for the animals.  They harvest every morning.  We went mid afternoon...it looked like some things would have quite a few items ready for harvest (gourds and tomatoes), but some would not (cucumbers).

The plants move because it looks cool, not because they really need to.

The tomatoes are on a vine and as they grow they just keep keep winding it around the bottom. 

The gourds were decorated for Christmas.

There were some amazing smelling roses.


I was able to feed the Tilapia.  They are always hungry.

The black pepper Mickey tree is the oldest in greenhouse...I think it was 18 years old.

Then we saw it from the other side.  The tour was much more interesting, but it was nice seeing it from the other side right after we had learned so much.

We rode the skyliner to get to dinner!  Dinner was delicious, but actually getting to the right place in the resort was more confusing than expected.  It didn't help that feet were sore.


We got back to Epcot  just in time to get some macaroons for the boys and find a place for the fireworks.  It was a really, really cool show, but I only got blurry pictures.

1 comment:

betsy said...

I did that tour with my parents once growing up and once the year i got married. Would be fun to do again! Glad you got to ride the skyliner! We loved that!