Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Tuesday: yesterday and today

Yesterday Isaac and I were struggling over some of his reading packet.  He had to read a story, list some things about one of the characters, and then using that information write what he thought of the character.  What did he write?  "I don't know what I think of the character because I don't know him."  I was rather dumbfounded.  I know I was busy and am not the best teacher, but seriously?

We made it through though.  Isaac's life skill was to make the frozen cookies...but I didn't give him any help at all.  Well, a few comments.  What I was surprised to find is that he thought the cookies stopped baking once he turned the oven off.  He was going to leave the cookies in there until it was a little cooler and not so scary.  We had a fast discussion about how it was the heat that was still in the oven that cooks them and the cookies would burn if he left them in there.

Today was a screen time day.  (Almost) as much screen time as they wanted.  They spent most of it playing or watching the Switch.



Yeah, they were in those spots a lot today.  They did go to the beach for a bit, took a walk around the lake with us, and had a karate lesson, so they weren't there ALL day.  (Isaac considered going to the beach in his footie pajamas.  While I wasn't going to forbid it, I did ask him if he really thought it was a good idea.  He changed his clothes.)

I tried catching up on my work.  While I'm not caught up, I'm at least closer.  At one point I was looking through my files to see if I had any back from when I was at Hope.  (I was looking for some data to import into excel, and I knew the instron had some.) (I know there's a lot on the web and I did find some of it, but wanted to see exactly what I had in case it would act differently.)  About twenty minutes later Ben put a whole bunch of old CDs on my desk for me to sort through.  What was on the top?  My files from Hope.


No comments: