Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Wednesday: back to school

Joshua's Lego challenge was to make a pizza.  First, he drew a picture of a pizza monster.  Then he added a guy the pizza monster was chasing.  Then he made it out of Lego.  The guy is smiling because he doesn't realize the pizza monster is behind him.  The pizza monster can shoot sauce out of his mouth.

The floor got sticky again, so Joshua got to clean the kitchen this time.

Isaac worked diligently on his math and reading packets.  Well, pretty diligently...better than Monday.  I'm now optimistic that he'll finish his required things by Friday.  He ended up in this corner while trying not to be distracted.  Of course, he let the vent distract him.  "Why isn't there an ant trap in the vent?"  "There's nothing in there that ants want."  "But couldn't they come in anyway?"  "It's not connected to the outside, but to the furnace."  "Oh."

I had the possibly stupid idea of using water in the marble run for today's water activity.  I think that if Joshua hadn't put the straight long down pipe in the set-up it wouldn't have been too bad.  Maybe.  A lot of water splashed out and the floor got a second cleaning of the day.



It turns out that when I'm not teaching I can handle the boys' school and keeping the house clean.  But I can only do two of the three.  The kitchen has been especially bad the last few days.  Also, Hope College canceled next Monday's classes (Friday was already off.)  I don't have strong opinions on whether or not they should cancel classes, but it feels a little unfair to have another MWF class off and not an TR class.  I'm a bit short on material.  I know, I could cancel.  And my classes have gotten rather short.  But still...  (Also, I've heard from some of the students that they are spending a ton more time with remote learning than if they actually went to a classroom.  I'm not sure why this is, but perhaps my short classes will give them a bit of a breather.  At least, that's what I'll tell myself.)

No comments: