Thursday, March 3, 2016

19 months, a bit late

A week ago Joshua turned 19 months!

Attitude: this last month has been a bit trying.  Joshua has discovered that he has a will and wants to exert it.  I feel like I've been ignoring him cry on a semi-regular basis because we disagree about how things should be handled (see Eating).  He's been a little clingy at drop-offs (daycare/nursery/gym), but quickly recovers.  He seems to be cautious in new situations, sitting in my lap for 15-30 minutes before deciding that it's ok to get out and explore.  He's still a lot of fun to be with, especially since he's started showing us what he wants to do...sometimes his will works for the benefit of all.


Eating: Ug.  I feel like we've lost more foods than gained lately.  He'll still eat the pouches from the store (fruit/veggies) and bread and eggs.  Bananas are iffy.  Apples get chewed but then pushed out of his mouth.  He has been throwing food on the floor and getting in trouble for it.  (Once I put his high chair in time out too because I didn't want to clean him up first.)  When's he's finished eating he wants everything off his tray....I remember Isaac doing that though too.  He's discovered that he can ask to nurse, so there's been a few rough days that we've sat down together a few extra times.


Family: Ben is his favorite.  I'm a good second favorite, especially if Ben isn't around.  He has started to try and hug Isaac a lot, which Isaac doesn't really appreciate.  He really likes Flurry too.

Communicating: Joshua hasn't added a ton of words the last month, although "hi" and "bye-bye" are very clear.  He does seem to understand a lot more though...the other day I started asking him were his mouth, nose, ears, eyes, and tongue were and he could point to all of them (for the first time I've seen).

Activities: he enjoys playing in the basement, reading, running, Ipad, and singing.  He wanted to go for a sled ride on Tuesday, but we weren't dressed for it at the time.  He does not enjoy bath time, and often is in and out within about three minutes.  He does not enjoy sharing and lets everyone know by emitting a high pitched scream.

Sleeping: still about the same; some nights he'll only wake up once, some nights two-three times.  We got a sound machine, but I'm not sure it helps.  He has wanted to sleep with his quilt and so I changed his pjs from fleece to lighter without feet and that may or may not have helped too.

Last note: Joshua was crying when I got the quilt out for pictures (I think I wouldn't give him more snack) but once he saw it on the floor he instantly perked up and laid down (top picture).  He seems to love the flash.

2 comments:

betsy said...

I love these posts. Cute photo of you and the boys too!

betsy said...

I love these posts. Cute photo of you and the boys too!