Monday, August 21, 2023

Monday: Detroit

We were in Detroit today.  We had a small mismash of things planned, and the plan worked pretty well.  There was a bit of extra afternoon downtime in between things, but the break was nice too.

We started with Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum.  It's an arcade with a mix of old things (think talking heads and old arcarde games), pinball machines, and new arcade games.  Ben and I were expecting a bit more old games and fewer new ones, but we still had a fun time.

Hit the dots was a favorite game and got played several times throughout the time.

There was also a Japanese drum game.  Similar to rock band, but Ben said that the drum heads were better.

My personal favorite was the bus one.  It is pretty much one of those silly drop a coin in and get tickets out if you drop it in the right place.  But, it was only a penny AND instead of tickets you got pennies back out, so you could drop them in again.  It was a lot of fun for only 25cents total.

Next we went to iFly, an indoor skydiving place.  Isaac has wanted to go for the last several months and Ben was excited to do it again.  It was a lot of fun!  Joshua even conquered his fear of going up high in the wind tunnel and decided to do it last minute.  Let's see...the first time Isaac got in the wind tunnel his legs pretty much flew over his head, but he got the hang of it really quickly.  Ben was able to go a bit more advanced and was able to steer himself around a little bit.  And I was happy with just being stable...or as stable as one gets in a wind tunnel for the first time.



Then we went to our hotel in downtown Detroit.  It has a little sitting area separated from the beds and I'm rather excited by it.  I'm currently sitting with the lights on, not worrying about waking up the kids.

The last surprise of the day was dinner at the Sugar Factory.  It has been Isaac's favorite restaurant (that he had only been to once prior) for a long time, although when I asked him at lunch time today he didn't mention it.  It's been several years since we've gone and I think he had given up.  Ben and I split a cajun pasta that was amazing.  (Side note, at lunch Joshua had a grilled cheese that he didn't like, but everyone else  thought it was amazing.  So we knocked it out of the park with food today.)  Then, of course, we had desserts.  In no particular order:

Joshua didn't think I'd let him get this one because of the sucker.  But since I had already told him he couldn't get the King Kong dessert that serves 12, I told him yes to this and he was rather excited.








And now we're back in our room.  The kids are asleep...Joshua told us he wanted to get to bed at a reasonable time tonight.  I'm exhausted, but it's only 9:30pm and a bit too early for me to go to bed.  I didn't sleep all that well last night as the air conditioner was really noisy when it turned on.  I woke up a lot, but at least I was also able to quickly go back to sleep.

No comments: