Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday: eating

Isaac:
One of Isaac's longest lasting games has been Nummies.  It's basically a game where he gets something to eat from someplace (any place, really), and eats it.  Or gives it to you to eat.  Sometimes it keeps him well occupied, sometimes it's super annoying, and sometimes it just is.  But in a given day, we probably talk about nummies 10-20 times.

Lately he's also been getting yucky nummies.  He'll eat them, but won't let anyone else eat them.

So nap time rolls around today.  He has been doing a lot of fake crying in bed since Joshua came home; we don't know if it is a 2.5 year thing or a Joshua thing.  Anyway, he starts crying because I only gave him one big hug instead of two, so I open the door again.  He wants a pretend cookie.  I don't really want to get trapped in a big hug again, so I throw it to him.  Apparently I miss.  I throw another one, saying it's the last one.  I miss again, but close the door anyway.  Five minutes later he's still crying so I open the door.  Lo and behold, there is a nummy in my hand that I didn't give to him.  I sit and give him a hug, and the nummy.  (It's a yucky one by the way, so he's going to eat it later.)  I can't help but laugh even though he's crying...he's crying over a pretend yucky treat.  Luckily, Isaac laughs too.  Eventually I escape.

Joshua:
We're starting to work on eating every two hours instead of 1.5 hours.  If he eats every 1.5 hours the breakdown goes like this: 15-20 minutes for eating a diaper change, 15 minutes of being awake, 15-20 minutes of getting to sleep and making sure he's asleep, and 10 minutes of waking up early.  This gives me a whole thirty minutes to calm down and take my own nap, and that just isn't working for me.  With both of the boys I came home from the hospital thinking that feeding every 2-3 hours as suggested seemed fine (4 hours at night!).  But the boys didn't listen to the hospital recommendations.

Joshua did do a few three hour stretches last night; I'm hoping for the same thing again tonight. :)

No comments: