Friday, March 13, 2020

Friday: preparation

Well, life has gone a bit crazy. 

Isaac has had classes canceled for the next three weeks (after which he has one week of spring break).  He thinks that the next three weeks are going to be fun because he doesn't have to go to school.  I think his expectations will quickly change.

We started errands by getting some more cat food.  We got it a little earlier than normal, but not that much earlier.  The carts were a bit smaller, and Joshua noted that he's growing up because he can push the cart around.

Then we went to Meijer.  The toilet paper is all gone, based on the the nationwide phenomena of buying toilet paper even when you don't need it.  At 10:30am most of the ramen was also sold out as was most of the ground beef and quite a bit of pasta.

We stocked up on a lot of important things like donuts.  I have been planning on making a lot of freezer meals next week, so I did have a large amount of groceries but I was also trying to stock up on a few things.

The biggest problem was the checkout.  The line when around the corner and halfway to the back of the store.  I overheard some employees saying that it was worse than Christmas.  (But really, what did everyone expect?  The recommendations are to buy 2-3 weeks worth of groceries and the schools are about to close.)  My shop and scan app wasn't working.  Oh, what a day for it to not work!  I restarted the phone.  That didn't work.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and that finally worked.  Phew!  So I really probably only spent an extra five minutes in the store.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was at Meijer yesterday, in the middle of the afternoon, they only had three checkouts open! Understandably, the lines were super long, so people with way more than 20 items were using the self-checkouts. It was the same scenario when I was there on Tuesday. I'm beginning to wonder if they're intentionally opening fewer checkout lanes?

But what really made me unhappy were the completely empty shelves where the hand sanitizer used to be. I understand they had sold out, but the shelf tags indicating that the non-existent sanitizer was 20% off seemed unnecessarily cruel.

Annette B.