Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Wednesday: shenanigans

We had quite the shenanigans in our house today.

Joshua is apparently doing a unit on spiders, so I told him to go in the basement and look for spider webs.  Of course, he doesn't just go down and look, he wants to clean them too.  It's not just a clean though, it was a banish.  Basically, he was playing a game with the spider webs and not learning anything at all.  (Of course, he couldn't find any so I had to go help him.  Perhaps what he was learning is where to look for spider webs, another important skill?)

During recess the kids were playing their new favorite game of delivering stuff to the door so they could be thieves later and steal it back.  I decided I needed a guard dog.  Of course, with no dogs around I used the next best thing...a guard kitty.  (The video isn't great.)



Soon after that I get a note from my guard kitty asking for his friend.  Now Tornado doesn't like the carrier, so at first a circled 'no'.  But Horizon "really, really" wanted him, so I forced him in.

I pretty much lost track of what was going on after that.  The thieves came into the house and stole THE WHOLE BAG of cat food.  The thieves decided the best way to get the cats back into the house was to stroller them down the hill to the back slider door.  Luckily, the thieves also decided to clean up after themselves.

We continued Joshua's spider theme with his Lego challenge by asking him to build a spider.  He continued changing the spider theme to suit his desires.  May I present the spider mech (i.e., robot), controlled by a spider.  It does at least have eight legs.

Isaac's life skill was to weight the loose lego.  Ben and I have been curious as to how much we have, so now seems like a good time to do it.  (It's not necessarily the weighing of the lego that's the life skill, but keeping track of what he's done and the results.)

It was nice enough to go on a walk around the lake this afternoon.  It was busy!!  I don't think I've ever seen that many people out walking at once.  But we all did a great job social distancing.  We were only 6ft away from someone a few times when we were going in opposite directions on the sidewalk, otherwise we were closer to 15ft.


Ben finished work right after Joshua and I got back, so Joshua (and Isaac) brought Ben on a walk around the lake.  Joshua takes his job of making sure we get exercise very seriously.

1 comment:

Heather D. said...

Eva learned about spiders, today, too! She loved the little video on this page:
https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome/grades-1-2.html