Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Tuesday: back to school for me

Hmm, I didn't get as many pictures of 'school' today.  It must be getting normal.  I did make the kids do the not-so-fun things first and I think it helped.  Oh!  We didn't have any tears today (except for a small injury, which doesn't count.)  I was going to have a special breakfast for them, but Isaac made bran muffins yesterday.  I guess we'll have special breakfast later.

I do have a picture of a dog house Joshua made for his Lego challenge.  Both boys got through more of their activities today...I'm not really sure why.  Life skills may have been shorter and recess may have been shorter, and when you add up a few other shorter things you can get through most of the items on the list I guess.


But I'm sure you're really all wondering how back-to-school went for me.  Well, it ended up going quite well, I think.  I'm obviously not 100% sure because I can't see faces or watch body language, but I covered all the material I wanted to.  At the end of the week last week I decided that I actually wanted to use Zoom instead of Google Meet.  I felt a little nervous about this decision, because most of the campus is going with Google Meet.  However, only one person can present at a time to Google Meet and I wanted to be able to flip through screens.  Zoom is far from ideal, but it worked fine.  I did cast to Google Meet too and one person chose that option, but most students went with Zoom.  Everyone from my second class even showed up, which I was slightly surprised about.  (Most students from the first class showed up, but I didn't get a final count.)

My children did a good job too.  I talked to them a few times, Ben helped them out a few times, but it wasn't excessive.  The worst part was that Joshua went to the bathroom and forgot to flush and I couldn't flush for him because I was using a headset.  I closed the door and that worked.  (Phew.)  The cats did a pretty good job of not interrupting me too.  Horizon even sat on my lap for a bit, which was a definite perk! 

I posted the lectures on-line.  I briefly listened to one to make sure the sound was working and I didn't sound as bad as I was expecting.  (Everyone always sounds terrible to themselves, right?)  Phew.

No comments: